If you need help with medical expenses:
- Call our message line at (360) 221-4535
- Write to us at:
Friends of Friends Medical Support Fund
PO Box 812
Langley, WA 98260
- Send an E-mail. Please put "FoF Help" in the subject line so we can respond to your requests quickly.
However you contact us, please provide your name and address, and a phone number where we can reach you. You should hear from us within 2 business days.
Friends of Friends is able to help in small ways to pay for most medically-related expenses up to an annual limit per person. We make these payments directly to the providers and never to individuals; we cannot reimburse for payments already made by you.
We can help with prescriptions and over-the-counter medications, visits to health professionals, medical equipment or supplies, hospital and lab fees or transportation to treatment on the mainland.
Examples of ways we have helped:
- Prescription medication for a senior citizen diagnosed with diabetes
- Co-pay on doctor visits for a child with multiple disabilities
- Mammogram and ultrasound tests for a single working mom unable to afford health insurance
- Ferry tickets and gas vouchers for someone needing on-going treatment several days a week at a mainland hospital
- Acupuncture treatment for a woman with chronic pain
- Rental of a knee scooter
If you live in the Coupeville area, a similar grassroots organization was formed in 2006 to serve people in your area. Please contact Small Miracles , PO Box 912, Coupeville, WA 98239. (360) 672-5651.
If you live in the Oak Harbor area, a similar grassroots organization has formed this past year to provide people in your area with help paying for prescription drugs. Please Contact Medical Safety Net of North Whidbey, PO Box 550, Oak Harbor, WA 98277 (360) 939-3328
With thanks to MEDICAL SAFETY NET OF NORTH WHIDBEY:
Have you heard of the Affordable Care Act (ACA)? Visit this link to learn more and see if you qualify for subsidized Medical Insurance - http://www.wahealthplanfinder.org/
Find out about the ACA: http://wahbexchange.org/news-resources/health-reform/